Saturday, October 16, 2010

Rolling with the Punches..............

Well hello there!  It's been a long time!  LOL.  I've been pretty busy since I wrote last and I know I have been slacking off.    The only thing I stuck to was my Thanksgiving dinner!  I said I would have 12 points for dinner and I did. 

Last week I have been struggling with my journaling and portion sizes.  I have been making good choices, just not righting them down.  I know a few days I probably went over my points but don't know for sure since  I didn't journal!  Aargh! 

I think I just convinced myself that I knew what I was doing and it didn't matter if I journaled or not.  But........it does.  This can be a slippery slope if I continue this way.  Soon I will be telling myself that I don't need to exercise or I can eat out just this once, twice, twenty times and I will be right back where I started!  I don't want that.  I just need to remind myself that this is a journey, some places will be hard to get to, others easy.  I'm not going back!  I am moving forward.

This week I've committed to:  Jounaling (in my journal and on this blog) and recording my exercising as well.  This way I am not only accountable to myself but to all of you as well. 

I did go to my meeting on Thursday and it was great!  I lost 1 pound!  Which brings my total pounds lost to 20.6!  I am 0.4 pounds away from my 10% goal!  I can't wait.  I can tell too because I tried on some of my old jeans and I could easily put them on.  I bought a pair of jeans when we went to Nova Scotia last year that I can wear again.  (They were only worn once)  and a couple of old jeans that I had that I can wear again.  It felt so good to pull them on and not have to jump up and down to fit into them!  I also have some shirts that I can wear again and that makes me feel really good!  See, another reason to not go back! 

I also read something really interesting from WW that made sense.  It explains rapid weight loss in the beginning and talks about plateaus.

There are some predictable patterns to everyone's weight-loss efforts.  In the first few weeks, it's normal to see quick losses.  People talk about this as water weight.  But what's happening to cause this loss of water weight?  When you reduce your calorie intake, your body responds by releasing its stores of glycogen, a stored form of carbohydrate found in the muscles and the liver.  Glycogen holds water, so when it is burned for energy, it releases water.  Since you're eating fewer calories, your body starts burning up its glycogen stores, and then, after they're gone, your body starts burning fat for energy - which is exactly what you want to have happen.  But, because fat does not hold water and it takes twice as much energy to burn fat, you'll see slower losses on the scales.

How I like to think of this is each pound I lose is harder to lose but the reward is much greater.  Goodbye fat!!  I will post my food and exercise tonight before bed.  Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment